RE: Inside the tank

To: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>,
Subject: RE: Inside the tank
From: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:37:11 -0700
I don't know about BN3s but on my BN7 the fuel pickup is near the front of
the tank.  So, going up hill causes the fuel to move to the rear of the tank
thereby starving the fuel pick up.  It doesn't make sense to me why they
didn't put the pickup at the rear of the tank so it will still be in the
fuel when the car is going up hill.  I have actually had my car stall out
going up a long hill on a half empty tank.  I had to roll it around to head
it down hill with the pickup getting fuel before it would run again.  It
seems like it would be much smarter putting the pickup in the rear of the
tank.  You can always coast down hill but its hard pushing up hill.
Ron
61BN7
G'day

I took the BN3 for a 300 mile run yesterday to a race circuit south of
Sydney. It makes for the perfect camera car out on the circuit giving
the photographer 360 degree access.

The the weather was fine and warm and getting a little hotter coming
back in the arvo. It ran very well especially in the cooler morning but
presented with a problem coming back.

I think the best way to describe it would be fluttering. Those out there
will recall that I have mentioned this before but while I thought I
fixed it with a new fuel filter it has come back. We were driving along
at just under 3K rpm in top OD and then on reaching a slight incline or
hill the engine would start to flutter or stutter and there would be no
power. After a short time it would clear itself and away we go.

I spoke to Joe Armour and he thinks it's the carburettor damper needing
a look at as the pistons may be bouncing up and down and that I should
take it apart, clean and reassmble with fresh oil. That I will do but I
have a question about the fuel tank.

Even after 35 years of Austin-Healey ownership I have never been up
close and personal with the inside of an AH fuel tank. I am wondering if
there may be a little water in the tank (or perhaps even a foreign body)
and on going up an incline the water in the tank-well, being heavier
than petrol, flows to the pick-up causing a small amount to be sucked
in.

It would be appreciated if you could think about all that for a minute
or two and give me the wisdom of your experiences?

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia