Carburetor adjustment

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Carburetor adjustment
From: Jorge Garcia <fortee9er@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:25:22 -0700 (PDT)
  My 1965 BJ8 would not maintain a steady idle speed after reaching operating
temperature and the choke was off. The engine would stumble and die while
waiting for a traffic light. I checked my AH Haynes manual, a couple of books
on SU carbs and Norman Knock's Tech Tip book. I used Norman's technique for
adjusting the carbs, I fiddled with the idle speed and then with the idle
mixture screw until it idled steadily. I drove it for a few miles and it did
great it did not stumble while waiting for traffic lights to change. All that
changed Saturday when I was showing off to my son-in-law and accelerated fairly
hard coming off a traffic light. As soon as I let off the gas I could feel that
something had changed, the engine was not running as smooth as it had a few
minutes before. When I pulled to the next traffic light the engine stumled and
wanted to die so I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from dying.
  Why would revving the engine cause the carbs to loose their adjustment? One
last thing, I did not perform the last step of Norm's adjutment procedure for
checking choke and linkage adjustment. This the one where you stick your finger
into the carb's throtle body and check that the butterfly is fully open while
"a friend" has his foot buired in the gas pedal with engine running at full
speed. What is going on with my carburetors?

  Thanks
  Jorge Garcia
  Houston, TX