RE: cooling fan

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cooling fan
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:21:14 -0700
Hi, Alan -

Although I have never had the pleasure of driving my BJ8 in China like you,
Ann and Peter Hunt, and the owner of HBJ8L/31818, it's hard to believe that
Hong Kong could be any hotter or more humid in the summer than the coast of
North Carolina, so I checked on that.

http://www3.oag.com/Cities/Guide?city=86&cat=8&guideID=8 says the average
summer temperature in Hong Kong is 83 F.
http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?&wealocations=wc%3AUSNC0302&setunit=F
gives Havelock's average summer temp as 87 F.

My experience here on the steamy Crystal Coast has been that the 160
thermostat did nothing for cooling in summer, since ambient temps and engine
heat load easily put the coolant temperature above 160, out of the control
range of the thermostat; but it did prevent the engine from warming up to
190 when ambient temps were cool (night, early morning, or winter:  Hong
Kong 62, Havelock 57).  Compare this to a 195, which would remain partially
closed up to about normal engine operating temperature in the winter.  Above
195 (easily achievable in summer), both the 160 and the 195 are fully open
and neither one controls the coolant temperature, which then is determined
by rate of coolant flow, rate of air flow through the radiator, engine heat
load, and the differential temperature between the ambient air and the
coolant.

However, I am always willing to learn more and would like to consider your
explanation for why a 160 thermostat cools the engine better in hot weather
than a 195.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666