Re: Lucas 25D6 distributor

To: "Ph.J.Aeckerlin" <j.aeckerlin@tiscali.nl>
Subject: Re: Lucas 25D6 distributor
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:46:21 +0800
Jack -

As a word of advice, I would keep that distributor in your boot as a spare,
just in case the 123 fails.  I am very supportive of E.I. in general, and
the 123 system, but at the end of the day they are black boxes and if they
do fail for some reason, it is very helpful to keep a workable spare in the
boot at all times.

The old distributors are not as accurate at firing than an E.I. system, they
are a pain in the ass to adjust every 500 to 1000 miles, their timing
changes all over the place as the points wear, and they need to be oiled and
inspected with regularity.  The condensors fail fairly regularly.  In
addition they are suceptable to bush wear and wobbly shafts.  Despite all of
these annoyances and reasons why you would never want to have an old contact
distributor... the one thing they do have going for them is they tend to
fire under most circumstances ... so keeping it as a spare to fix on the
side of the road (when you need it the most) ... is HIGHLY recommended by
me.

Cheers,

Alan

'52 A90