Which Welder To Buy

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Which Welder To Buy
From: Dave Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:02:30 -0500
Hello Listers,
I had a great response to my asking for recommendations on which MIG
welder to Buy.
Almost all responders  felt that:

#1. MIG over TIG. MIG is easier to learn. TIG requires close
coordination of the arc, puddle, and Filler rod.

#2. MIG with gas (Argon or Argon-CO2) is preferred over flux cored
wire. Cleaner, no spatter and no slag to chip off. All these welders
can be used with Flux wire.

#3. 120V appears to be adequate for most restoration work. Will weld
3/16 Steel and can be plugged into household receptacles ( requires a
20A breaker).

#4. Continuously adjustable wire feed and voltage control is preferred.

Which one to buy?
I looked at the following American made Brands.
Lincoln 140C  $735@ Lincoln. $585@Ebay new.
Miller 135        $764@ Miller. $637@ Discount Store.
Hobart 140      $680@ Hobart. $540@ Discount Store
HTP MIG 140  $749@ HTP. Not sold elsewhere.
If you spend some time on the internet you will discover that all the
above are very similar All have the the features (available) as
listed above with the exception of the voltage control. Most have 4-6
voltage levels.

  As usual Big Bucks gets the best. My choice is the HTP. However the
necessary accessories (Flow meter, Kit, Gas bottle, Mask, & shipping)
push the cost to about $1000.
  I got a very strong recommendation from Concourse Committee member
Kent Lacy. He has restored several 100m' and had no problems over a
15 year period.

  The prices and what's included on the others bounce around the
discount prices + - $50.00
The HTP costs what it costs. Unfortunately.

Dave & Daisy