Re: Which Welder To Buy

To: "Dave Schweninger" <quenty@ntelos.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Which Welder To Buy
From: "Chris Masucci" <sooch@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:11:50 -0600
Dave,

What I can tell you is what I own and what I have done with it.  I have a
Lincoln weldpak 100 with the MIG conversion kit.  $399 for the welder from
Lowes( $349 on sale) and $100 for the MIG kit, so $500 total.  I have welded
all of my frame work on the Healey with it, tightened up the torque boxes on
my old Mustang, and added a 1.25" receiver tube to the hitch on my VW Golf
TDI.  Have had the welder 8 years now.  With a 20A breaker and the right
gas, it will weld anything I need from stainless exhaust pipe, to 1/4" mild
steel, to aluminum shrouds. I have only needed the max current setting D
when welding a piece of cast aluminum 3/8" thick.  Everything else has
required C or less.  An infinitely adjustable wire feed speed is a
necessity.

Flux core is great if you don't need good weld penetration or care what the
finished product looks like.  Whatever you do, get something set up for true
MIG welding.  You can choose the gas to give you more or less penetration on
the weld, and what kind of finish you want.  Just ask the guys at the
welding supply house and they will give you what you need.

If you have the money to spend, bigger is better when it comes to welders.
However, from my experience I have never needed anything more than what I
have.  If I had to buy again, I would get the Weldpak 135 since mine is no
longer available...more would just be overkill unless you weld for a living.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8