Re: Rotor, Bosch follow up

To: Bob Brown <BlkBt7@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Rotor, Bosch follow up
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:57:51 -0700
I'm still using a 40 year old "Echlin" rotor. Even with Pertronics, no sign of
problems.
It has no rivet. Been using the same very old Lucas cap also.  There is no
excuse for any
rotor failing, except poor design/quality, or maybe a very loose distributor
upper
bearing that lets the rotor strike the cap contacts.  Wider plug gaps WILL
contribute to
the cap & rotor problems. Never had any problems with plug gaps up to .030"
though.

If you're stuck with the new Lucas knockoff rotors, removing the rivet, filling
the hole, &
securing the contact arm  with JB Weld is a good preventive. Especially if the
insulator
is invisibly cracked from over riveting. The JB will effectively fill the crack
as well as
anchor the contact arm. I ran one for a year or so to verify that it was a good
spare.

Note: A good thing to check - Occasionally,  Pertronix trigger ring setups
cause the rotor
to ride high enough to strike the cap contacts. A little filing on the bottom
of the rotor
to lower it for clearance works well.

Regards,
Dave Russell