Re: Replacing Rear Springs

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Rear Springs
From: "John P. New" <jnew@hazelden.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:41:07 -0500
Ned, When I removed and replaced my springs, I followed the Factory
Workshop Manual, and I found the following entries in my log:

---
Rear spring removal tip: Put a scissor jack under the middle of the
spring (the Miata's jack was perfect  a hole in the middle of the
jack's platform accepted the bottom centre bolt of the spring perfectly)
and raise it until it puts a slight upward pressure on the spring/axle
assembly. Remove the four nuts on the two U-bolts. Slowly lower the
scissor jack until it comes away from the spring. At this point, 95% of
the spring tension is relieved, and the rear shackle is almost fully
forward.
Gotcha: On left side, an exhaust mount is in the way of the rear of the
spring as it is lowered. Remove this mount before removing spring.
---
Replaced springs. Used new, all-metal, self-locking nuts for U-bolts;
used new lock washers for rear shackle pins. Used copper-based
anti-seize compound for front pin and upper shackle pin & rubber bushes;
used suspension grease for lower shackle pin and rubber bushes. Replaced
exhaust mounting bracket on LH side.
---

I don't have any notes for the actual replacement procedure, so I will
utter those infamous words: the spring replacement is a reversal of the
removal procedure.

If you don't have the Workshop Manual, I guess I could send you a scan
of the section that deals with this.

John P. New
London, Ontario, Canada
'67 BJ8
NOW AVAILABLE AT www.LBCdigital.com:
Austin Healey 3000 Parts List on CD-ROM:
    Series BJ7 & BJ8
    Series BN7 & BT7

COMING SOON!
Austin Healey 100/6 (Series BN4 & BN6)