Re: Timing chain damper on 100

To: Carr&Edwards <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: Timing chain damper on 100
From: jerry adams <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:42:11 -0800 (PST)
Sarah,

  I wouldn't run with out the damper in place.  You will get a lot of noise and
sprocket wear with the loose chain.  I use a lot of chain and sprockets in my
work place and running with out a tensioner or damper in place is a no, no.
The chain slack ruins chain and sprockets at an alarming rate not to mention
the noise.
  It was suggested earlier that the chain be placed on both sprockets and then
slide both on at the same time.  This method takes the angle out of the chain
and lengthens the chain just a little bit.  I don't know if your mechanic has
tried this or not but you could discuss it with him.  I haven't replaced a cam,
cam gear, damper, or crank shaft gear in a long time and I can't remember if
camshaft locking plate was left unbolted, this would allow the cam to be
withdrawn a bit until everything was installed, or not but it is something your
mechanic to try.  Bottom line I wouldn't run with out the damper.
  Hope this helps.

  Jerry
  BN2

Carr&Edwards <scvc70@epix.net> wrote:
  Listers,

We faced the same question recently, complicated by the fact that the cam
sprocket couldn't be slid onto the camshaft with the damper in
place--possibly the groove in the new sprocket wasn't deep enough, or the
new damper too fat? (The old one had totally disintegrated, so there was no
way of comparing anything.)

My earlier query to this list provided one response that the 4-cyl. race
cars didn't use the damper, so my mechanic suggested leaving it off. (He's
had much experience with old Chevy engines--which is essentially what the
100 is--and says that since they never had such a damper, he feels that
running without it would be OK.)

As there were no "don't do it!" responses to the racing-engines remark on
this list, I agreed to go along with his suggestion. It will be some time
before the engine is test-run (small matters of repairing the sump and
rebuilding the carbs...), so if there's anyone out there who feels strongly
about running a 100 engine w/o the rubber damper, speak now!

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA