Technical Mumbo-Jumbo

To: "'Healey Forum'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Technical Mumbo-Jumbo
From: PG <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:17:10 -0800
RE:  My Cylinder Bore Question.....sorry to bore you  (pun intended!)

I think many of you may find the following interesting ..... many thanks to
all that responded.

So,  I have heard from many of you and have made a few phone calls from
Australia to London....regarding cylinder bore size.

As a side note,  I very much encourage you to check out
www.dmdaustralia.com.au   The fellow, David Woodhouse, who I talked to has
built a monster 3.8 litre aluminum block C series engine.....very, very neat
site.

Also, Chris Dimmock at www.myaustinhealey.com was very informative.....

I also talked to the fellows at Denis Welch in UK www.bighealey.co.uk and
Peter McCallam at "The Healey Factory in Victoria, Australia
www.healeyfactory.com.au "...here is what I found.....

Healey's can be over-bored a maximum of .204 (for a total displacement of
3.3 liter) IF the block is "sonic tested" to ensure that the walls of the
cylinder are thick enough to accommodate...the 3.3 Liter is quite/very
common in Australia.  A overbore to create a 3.2 liter is a non-risky issue.

So, the .064 overbore which creates a 3 liter engine is very conservative
and the block has much more potential than that.

With respect to Rod Length and pistons, having talked to several rod and
piston manufacturer's in the USA (Crower, Carrillo, Cunningham, Arias, CP
etc). I have concluded that a slightly longer rod than stock with a shorter
piston (to keep the same compression ratio) with no skirt and a shorter
compression height, results in the piston being at TDC slightly longer than
stock giving more thermal efficiency to the engine.  This may allow for a
slightly retarded cam and shorter duration....time will tell.   That being
said, it does not affect the rpm range which I thought it would.

Thought this might be interesting to some of you.

Paul