Re: BN1 front brake cylinder bore

To: Alan <alan@nfahc.co.uk>
Subject: Re: BN1 front brake cylinder bore
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:36:34 +0000
Alan

The 100s you list with 7/8" front cylinders had narrow 1 3/4" wide drums
on the front and 2 1/4" wide drums on the rear. The early cars had 1
7/8" all round and the later (BN2) had 2 1/4" wide drums all round. The
intention of the middle group was to restore balance due to different
width drums. By and large this appears to work. Not many owners complain
of wheels locking up except in extreme situations. If locking up occurs
it is usually that something else is wrong or non standard parts have
been fitted.

I have great pity for the design team who were forced to fit BMC major
units rather than the original Austin in such a haphazard manner. Would
any self respecting designer ever fit larger brakes to the rear of a car
than the front if he or she had a choice?

All the best

--
John Harper