Engine Rear Seal

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Rear Seal
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:32:42 -0500
Hello all,

This time it's me asking the question.....

I am doing the complete rebuild of a Healey BJ8 engine that has about 80,000
original miles and has never been apart before now. The main bearings are just
kissing into the copper in a few places, and the journals actually look quite
good. This rebuild will be done correctly with no short cuts.

The question is this:

The area of the rear reverse scroll shows absolutely no scuffing or contact of
any kind which leads me to believe that it would likely seal as well as it did
when new. Should I therefore leave this reverse scroll area well enough alone
or should I go ahead with one of the modern replacement split seal kits? I
have seen these kits not seal all that well anyway, due probably to being
fitted not quite exactly on centre by the machine shop.

Comments or opinions please.

Rich Chrysler