Re: coils

To: James Shope <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: Re: coils
From: Dave & M <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 22:25:00 -0600
Hi Jim,

There may be a couple of issues.

Insulation failure in the coil windings caused by poor insulation
failing when it is repeatedly heated is the most likely cause of coil
failure.  Vibration of the windings/insulation can also be a factor.

The modern "replacement" coils from Moss etc. may be of much lower
quality than the Lucas originals. I think that any modern Lucas repro
is more likely to fail than a high quality coil. Chances are that any
of the high quality after market coils will last longer than the Lucas
repros.

The Lucas "Sport" coil draws about 20% more current than the original
coil. This would make it run hotter. It has to draw more current to
raise the output voltage. Any time coil current is increased, point
life will be shortened.

A high quality epoxy insulated coil such as the Pertronix 40501 draws
about 10% more current than the original & 10% less than the Sport
coil. In my personal experience, this lower current combined with the
very good insulation makes for a very good combination of hot spark &
long life.

Regards,
Dave Russell