Re: Valve job\Oils....

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Valve job\Oils....
From: Dave & M <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 15:07:21 -0600
Valvoline VR1 used to be one of the good guys.

  The latest batch of VR1, Valvoline Racing 20W-50, part # VV211,  that
I have, is clearly marked for API services SM, SL, CD. The newer API
rated SL oils, by definition, must contain less or no ZDDP. You will
note that  none of the most current oil analysis' for VR1 mention the
ZDDP content any more. It used to be clearly listed in the MSDS.

The current Valvoline Racing 20W-50, part # VV851, is clearly marked
"not Street Legal", is not marked "VR1", & is clearly stated on the
back that it contains "zinc & friction modifiers balanced with reduced
detergents"  - "use of this oil may damage catalytic converters". It
has no API rating for obvious reasons.

To further confuse the issues, GM EOS # 1052367 (engine oil
supplement) used to recommend adding one pint per oil change.  Their
new labeling calls it "Assembly Lubricant", not oil supplement,
recommends it as assembly lube only, & does not recommend it as an
additive to engine oil.

In my personal opinion, Valvoline & GM have done an excellent job of
disguising - confusing the issue. I guess, as always, you will make
the final decisions. Chances are, if you are not breaking in a new cam
& lifters, the current oils may get you by for a while.

Regards,
Dave Russell