Rear Brakes

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear Brakes
From: "R. Price Lindsay" <price@advocateadvisors.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:20:31 -0500
List -

I have rebuilt the brakes on my BJ8, front and back, and have run into a
problem.  I adjusted the rear brakes as described in the manual and took
it for a drive.  When I returned after a 2 or 3 mile run, the rear left
brake was smoking.  I backed off of the adjustment nut 2 flats (the
wheel was loose) and took it back out - same thing.  I then backed it
out about 6 flats, backed it back in until I felt some resistance and
then backed it out 2 flats ( the tire turned freely again).  Another
drive and now both rear brakes smoke a little.

I did not use any brake grease on the parts when I put them back
together which I guess may cause some of the problem.  I also did not
adjust the hand brake or replace any of the springs on the shoes or the
hand brake (they seemed very strong).  It seems like after I brake a few
times the shoes just "ratchet" up against the drum and stay there.
Could I have put something together wrong?  It's very frustrating - any
suggestions??

Price Lindsay

BJ8