Re: Starter

To: "Ronald J. Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Starter
From: Russ Staub <bbb11489@azboss.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 08:53:53 -0700
Ron,

I had the identical problem some years ago.  When the engine was hot,
the original starter would really struggle to turn the engine over.

The starter checked out ok.  The starter was trying to turn the engine
over, so solenoid was working.  The battery was fine.  Ground
connections checked out ok.

I finally removed the original starter cable and took it to a welding
supply store.  I had them make me a new cable using the original end
connectors, out of a heavy gauge, fine stranded welding cable.  The
welding cable is made to carry the relatively high current required for
welding, and turns out to be much more flexible than the original,
coarse stranded Healey cable.

Bottom line is, the Healey engine turns over like a champ ever since.
Had the exact same problem, and the same solution worked on a '74 Alfa
GTV we own.  So, IMHO, this may be an option to consider also.

Russ Staub,
'50 Austin Atlantic A90
'60 Bugeye
'56 BN2
'67 BJ8
Mesa, AZ

Ronald J. Ray wrote:

The starter on my BT7 continues to have the same issue since my car
returned
to the world of driving some 4 years ago.  The starter was completely
rebuilt at that time with new brushes, bushings, and new paper on the field
coil.
The issue is that more times than not, after the car has been driven for
any
length of time, the starter will not turn the engine until the car cools
down.  It acts similar to a low battery, but after 15 min or so, everything
is back to normal and the starter turns the engine over.  I have tried two
new starter solenoids without and improvement.
Any suggestions?