Re: Starter

To: "Ronald J. Ray" <ronald-ray@sbcglobal.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: Starter
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:04:29 -0700
Ron:

For what it's worth:

Something similar happened to me years ago - right after the starter was
rebuilt.  This has also happened to one other Healey owner that I know of
after a rebuild.

It turned out that the new bushings had tightened (more accurately
eliminated) the end float of the armature in the case.  The condition
worsens with a little heat.  So -------  the starter works as normal with
the engine cold, and then won't crank the engine when it's hot because it
can't overcome it's own inertia if it's even slightly tight.  This can be
maddeningly intermittent as well!

In both cases the fix was simple:  turn down the bushing (or reset it) in
one end of the case so that the armature has sufficient end float.  Both
starters have since worked well every time, ever since.  Of course, the
starter has to come out again, and be partially dismantled to do this fix,
if in fact it is the problem.

IMHO, it's worthwhile checking out - let us know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8