[Healeys] Napa, Pumps, and Filters (sort of long)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Napa, Pumps, and Filters (sort of long)
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:08:31 EDT
Latest in my preparations for my first long road trip in four years:
Napa received my fuel pump yesterday from their regional depot. It has the
Napa part number 610-1051, but is a Facet pump, with the number EFP-3 molded
into the case. It's 12 volts, with a range of 1.5 - 4 psi.
I'm also going to write down those parts numbers in the small workshop manual
that I always carry with me.
For general info, it cost about $50 and included a metal inline filter that
functions as one of the two hose fittings which screw into the body of the
pump. It's listed as "negative ground only" but I'm sure that if it were simply
wired with the black wire to power and the red wire to ground it would work on
positive-ground Healey.

My plan is to install the fuel filter by cutting the line and fitting the
hoses to both ends with clamps, install a fresh set of points into my standard
SU
pump and adjust it, and then pack the Facet pump into my spare parts bag, to
be used in the unlikely event that the correct original fuel pump should fail.
Since I have a BN7 with one 12 volt battery, it's easy to reach the fuel pump
area simply by sliding back the spare tire and opening the lid (a four-seater
is even easier) so it won't take much to install the pump.
(I realize I could plumb a t-fitting, fit the Facet as a spare, wire it in,
and install a switch to actuate it when necessary, but that's several extra
electrical bits, wires, and clamps that could fail, all to save fifteen minutes
on the side of the road, so I'll follow this half-safe strategy.)
Comments, anyone?
As a side note, This will be my last trip to Napa (at least this particular
store). When I asked for fuel line, the counter guy couldn't figure out which
size it needed (the instructions state 5/16 inch, but I had to pull them out
and read them to find out and tell him). Not that it mattered; they were OUT of
5/16 inch fuel line.
Also, the only fuel filter they had to offer was an expensive chrome and
glass filter, which would have looked fine in the engine compartment but I'm
mounting mine between the tank and pump, so didn't need it.
So I went a half mile down the street to Kragan's (a local norcal auto parts
chain -- don't know how widespread it is) where I went to the peg board by
myself and found a Fram G2 fuel filter for about $4, then went, as directed to
the rack of hose reels, where I found the 5/16 fuel line and cut off a piece
that looks like it should be long enough to plumb into the line, and got hose
clamps that matched the hose.
Bottom line; if you have to ask someone behind the counter for everything,
like in the old days, but they speak English as a second language, and don't
know much about automobiles other than Chevies and Toyotas built after 1990 (if
that much), you might as well go to an autoparts supermarket where a nice young
lady can point you to the right section and leave you to find the correct
part by reading the instructions on the packages.
(Or order it online, which has a three-day delay and requires a leap of faith
since you can't hold the piece in your hand before paying for it.)
Cheers
Gary