Re: [Healeys] Lost Titles

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lost Titles
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:26:03 -0400
Mark,

Okay the deed is done and all the remorse in the world won't bring them
back. The horse is out of the barn so to speak. So let's move forward and
try to fix this which is I believe what you originally asked.

Certainly it will be a different procedure frome state to state and country,
but here in God's country, Canada, and in the Province of Ontario, the
licence office has a form which is a procedural guide about what to do in
such a case.

Basically it outlines that you will need to record all the numbers that you
can, one set per piece of paper, to your State or Provincial Police, and run
the numbers to ensure they aren't stolen and are clear as far as the law is
concerned, and have them give their chief's stamp of approval.

Now with this and all information you can supply, any previous owner's name
if possible, etc. go to a Notary Public, such as a lawyer, judge, Justice of
the Peace, etc. and have a sworn affidavit made out stating what has
happened, that you do in fact own said vehicle (one per affidavit) and have
it signed and notarized.

Take these to your local licence office and get your "Unfit" or "Fit"
vehicle title or ownership made out.

This is a similar procedure to someone who builds a kit car that never
existed before, and that's how they have to be registered.

It's going to cost you some money, but this is far preferable to trying to
get other numbers of parted out cars, etc. and reidentifying your cars as
something else. A licenced appraiser may be required to determine value for
tax purposes which must be paid at the time of issue.

I've had to go through this procedure twice in the rcent past, registering
cars with no known paperwork, just a car with tags which is essentially what
you have there.

Hope this helps.

Rich Chrysler