[Healeys] fuel gage/sending unit

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] fuel gage/sending unit
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:36:09 EDT
I just received a replacement sending unit & installed it in a new fuel tank
to test the gage/sending unit combination. With an empty tank, the gage reads
1/4 full. I tested my original sending unit in the same tank & it also reads
1/4 full, in an empty tank.

FYI, the reason I am replacing the OE sending unit is because the ohm reading
is very erratic as the float is moved. I tried to repair it, unsuccessfully.

The depth from the mounting flange on the new tank to the bottom is the same
as my old tank. The old sending unit reads about 16 ohms empty & the new one
reads 22. Both sending units read about 2 ohms when the arm is moved to its
"Lowest" position & the gage reads empty, but the bottom of the tank prevents
the
arms from going to their lowest position. If I bent the arm such that the
reading is 2 Ohms when the tank is empty it will not read full when it is full.
guess this might be preferable to an empty tank that reads 1/4 full. Is this
a common problem or am I just lucky? What would you suggest?
Thanks,
Gary Hodson