[Healeys] Silicon VS Brake Fluid

To: "Healey List Emails" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Silicon VS Brake Fluid
From: "Dan Stromquist" <dan@warner-associates.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 15:03:19 -0500
I would like to add one more item to the list of pros and cons of silicon
over regular brake fluid.  I just rebuilt front and rear brakes as well as
the servo and both the master and slave cylinders (resleived in stainless)
on a 64 BJ8.  One thing I found outside all the pistons was a greenish white
chalk that was at times hard.  My assumption was this was old brake fluid
that had leaked and crystallized.  I am wondering if anyone has used silicon
in their braking systems long enough to comment on whether silicon is an
improvement in that regard.  I might add that that just about everything was
rebuilt about 20 years back and had about 3000 miles capped off with five
years of no activity.  The actual rubber in the cylinders looked good but
the outsides of each piston was cruded up.

On question I would have is it proper to treat the inside of all the
cylinders with the dry Sandstrom lubricant whether I use regular brake fluid
or silicon?

Dan