Re: [Healeys] Silicon VS Brake Fluid

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Silicon VS Brake Fluid
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:27:55 -0700
Hi, Dan -
I've had silicon(e) fluid in my BJ8 since 1990.  I would never go back to
DOT 3 or 4 fluid.  Silicone works great, doesn't promote corrosion of the
brake system parts, and most importantly (if you have a new paint job, as I
did in 1990) does not strip paint if you spill it (as you certainly will at
some point).
I've never had any problems with the brakes from using silicone, although if
you do get it on paint, it's almost impossible to remove when it comes time
to repaint.  Spoken from personal experience gained while trying to paint my
engine bay several years later.  Silicone contamination will result in
fisheyes in liquid paint.

The Sandstrom dry film lube is not recommended inside brake fluid - wetted
parts of brake systems, although it is proper to use it on the walls of the
brake servo canister when you rebuild that.  It lubricates the leather
piston seal of the booster.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666