Re: [Healeys] BJ8 door - glass weather strip

To: ah3000me@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 door - glass weather strip
From: "George Haywood" <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:17:36 -0400
Tom,

I replaced my outboard seals and inboard brushy strips a couple of months
ago during my restoration.  Since I removed them during disassembly I
haven't experience exchanging them while the door panels are in place.  It
would seem to me however that the easiest way would be to remove the inner
door pull handle and black door top piece, then the clips and brushy strip
could be safely removed and replaced.  That will be the more simple of the
two strips to replace.  The outboard seal is very difficult to get correct
because the clips have to hold the seal strip as well as the chrome door top
finisher.  I would remove the chrome door top piece by carefully lifting it
up and slightly forward to free the front portion near the bottom of the
forward edge of the wind vent (quarter window).  Then slide it backward to
free the rear portion.  It is held in place by the clips that hold the seal
so pay close attention to how the clips are oriented.  This orientation must
be maintained during refitting or the chrome piece will not be secure on the
door.

There may be other approaches that have been successful by more experienced
people on this list and I would like to hear from them for future
replacements on my car.

Take care,

George
'65 bj8