Re: [Healeys] Undoing the crank nut

To: "'Stephen Hutchings'" <s.hutchings@rogers.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Undoing the crank nut
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 01:17:28 -0400
It is not at all unusual for the crank nut to come loose on Healey engines
and this is usually because it is not tightened sufficiently during
assembly. The factory tool for the job is part # 18G391 and is described as
a "shock type" wrench.
In my experience one can easily get another 1/4 turn on the nut with this
wrench after fully tightening it with a good 1/2" impact gun. No crank
locking mechanism is required during tightening as the inertia of the crank
and flywheel is quite sufficient to allow the wrench to do its job.

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)
100 (1953)