Re: [Healeys] Paint

To: "Richard Korn" <rkorn@simnet.is>, <gardner5@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Paint
From: "Dallas Congleton" <dcongleton@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:15:19 -0400
Richard this information is in the "what it is worth" category, but trying
to match the original codes is an exercise in futility. I just went through
this with a restoration and gave every effort to obtain the "original"
color. After getting the original paint codes, I faced translation from
1950s English paint manufactures  to current suppliers, such as DuPont or
PPG and trying to convert through several evolutions of old paint code
books.
This proved to be pointless, because the paint materials have changed so
much , especially the base. Now we have urethane paints, a completely
different chemistry.
I went through all the conversion possible, with the help of a friend that
owns an automotive paint business. Using single stage DuPont paint. ( I
don't think a normal counter man would have been so patient)  we mixed a
sample batch- not even close.-
The original color was Ivory, also called Cream-, which is an off white with
a yellow or biscuit hue. The sample that came out was a greenish yellow with
a slight luminous or iridescent look like modern cars. I assure you he knew
what he was doing.
Back to square one- I took a piece of the inner dash that had original paint
on it and we took out the books with the color chips and started looking.
We found a color in a Chrysler series that was very close. He mixed a
sample, doctored it a tad, and gave me the new formula. Matches correctly
and has the correct look for the period of the car.
You may have better luck with a white, but I suggest you pay for a pint
sample, paint up an inner panel or something,  and look at it in different
lighting conditions. The urethane white has an appliance look to it that may
have to considered.

My opinion is that the paints have evolved so much, the original formula
codes are really of little use.

Dallas
1953 MGTD
1968 BJ8