Re: [Healeys] Bonneville Healey

To: "Patton Dickson" <57healey@gmail.com>, <caws52803@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bonneville Healey
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:01:16 +1100
G'day

The history of both the 4 and 6 cylinder record breaking cars is an
interesting one but none still exist.

However the iron headed 100/S engine used in the 4-cyl record breaking
car still exists and is in a 100/M here in Australia.

As far as the 6-cylinder cars go the supercharged engine blew up on the
very last run. In one of books and I can't recall whether it was on of
Geoff's books or Donald's it refers to the engine going bang as he
changed in 5th.

Yes I did write 5th and not top. If you look close enough at the books
and put together bits and pieces you will see that they used the 5-speed
transaxle from the ex de Portago Ferrari in the supercharged car.

There is also a Carroll Shelby connection here too. This was before he
joined forces with AC to make the Cobra. Shelby arrived at the DHMC with
the idea of making up a car with V8 power and English chassis. GCH said
he was welcome to the record breaking cars that were at Warwick. However
they were too far gone to be of use. An approach without success was
also made direct to BMC for a chassis/body to try with a V8.

Now 50 so years later there is no point in lamenting why these cars were
left to rot. DMH and GCH were automotive engineers who were always
looking ahead at the next design or race. They especially were also
looking where the wages were coming from to pay the staff on Friday. To
properly care for old chassis/body units that had served their purpose
was just not profitable and very time consuming.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
1947 Healey Duncan Saloon
1954 Austin-Healey 100 BN3/1