[Healeys] OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 19:52:53 +0000
For the second time in about 3000 miles my 100 has blown a head gasket
between #3 and #4 cylinders. I have the head off now and am having it
surfaced. I've checked the block with a straight edge and feeler guage and
it seems flat.

That being said I have a few questions for those who may have insght into
this problem:

First: I notice that the combustion chamber and the cylinder are not quite
the same shape which causes the head gasket (cut to match the block) to hang
over into the combustion chamber by a few millimeters. That would seem to me
to provide a potential hot spot for preignition, detonation  (Hmmm! Afterrun
anyone?) and a weak point in the gasket. Does anyone make a gasket that
eliminates or minimizes this overhang or is materially superior to the Payen
brand gasket that Moss normally provides? Does ayone make a steel gasket
that doesn't cost $350?

Second: I am thinking about buying and installing a set of high strength
head bolts from Dennis Welch. Is there really an advantage to this? The
original studs I am using do not seem to be stressed or stretched and the
specified torque value doesn't seem capable of distorting them. I know that
the head bolts in some engines are critical and need to be replaced anytime
they are removed, but these don't seem to be in that category. Do the high
strength studs allow a higher head torque to be used and if so what are the
pros and cons?

Looking for durability.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 # 554