Re: [Healeys] OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!

To: Rusd@sitestar.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:33:20 +0000
Dave,

Thanks for your response. The head has been checked and is in good condition
although I'm replacing valves and guides.

I see what you mean about the scallop for the combustion chamber, but the
overhang I was talking about is between the siamesed cylinders. I measured a
spare head I have and the distance between the combustion chambers is
approximately .284" to .290" I also measured two gaskets in the same area
and they were between .305" and .320". That leaves about .020" or .030"
hanging out. I suppose some gaskets are better than others depending on
manufacturer, batch etc. I would just like to know if there is a better
design.

>From the comments I've gotten it looks like I'll be ponying up to Dennis
Welch for a steel gasket, although I would like to know more about the solid
copper version. Even though I will certainly end up with a more durable
gasket either way I would still like to know that there isn't any excess
metal hanging out in the combustion chamber to glow and cause preignition.
My car has a problem with after running and that might be a cause. The solid
copper may be able to be modified to avoid that.

Thanks again.

Bill Lawrence