Re: [Healeys] How do I get the steering wheel off

To: "Taylor, Todd S" <todd.s.taylor@lmco.com>,<healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] How do I get the steering wheel off
From: "Frakes, Jim" <jimf@frakes-eng.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:01:43 -0500
Todd,

I just removed two by this method. Take the aluminum bracket that held
the shaft to the car frame off, take out the rubber, put it on and snug
up the bolts, making it surround the shaft at the base of the wheel.
That is the strong part of the wheel. Now I used a two prong large
puller with the three prongs putting pressure on the al bracket. (Yes, I
know it is breakable too.)  As I tightened, I tapped the puller prongs
lightly and then tightened some more. With the tension on it, the light
taps finally broke it free. I agree with another person, leave the nut
on loose to keep from knocking my teeth out.

Jim