Re: [Healeys] Mechanic/Hard Starting

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Mechanic/Hard Starting
From: <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:56:21 -0500
Hi, Edward -
Even here in the south where the temps aren't too severe in the winter, my BJ8
is much more difficult to start.  I've found it helpful to turn on the key and
allow the fuel pump to fill the float bowls, then give each carb air filter a 2
or 3 second squirt of starting fluid from an aerosol can (you can get it at the
usual auto parts stores).  With the choke full out, the engine usually starts
then in only a turn or two.
The high-pitched whine is probably the starter bendix kicking out.  That
doesn't happen on my BJ8 too often, but it does on my MG Midget.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA