Re: [Healeys] Philosophy of Sealing WW spoke heads

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Philosophy of Sealing WW spoke heads
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 07:35:50 -0800
Steve,

AFAIK, the purpose of the grease is only to keep the inner and outer
hubs from rusting together.  It's not there for "lubrication;" if there
is any motion between the splines one or both of the hubs have to be
replaced.

Since the grease is only there to prevent rusting, I think any good,
persistent grease will work.  Anti-seize seems particularly
persistent--I've got the stains on my jeans to prove it ;).   Have heard
that anti-seize contains highly-ground glass--that's what leaves the
silvery coating.

I use a clear RTV (Permatex) on the spoke heads and have never had any
problems with it.  Without it, I always got a little smear of grease
where the spokes exit the wheel hub.

bs