[Healeys] steering box rebuild

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] steering box rebuild
From: Ray Juncal <healeyray@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:59:46 -0800 (PST)
Brethren of the List
    What is the collective wisdom on rebuilding an early steering box?  (BN-1
BN-2)  I am making three into two as one of the three has a cracked case.  I
can use the best two parts from the three available.
    So, how do I tell the best from the worst?  I'm talking about the subtle
stuff.  I can tell a pitted bearing race or grooved shaft  at the lip seal.
     The worm gears all show wear.  How much of this can be adjusted out by
setting the pin depth?  Any tricks to picking the best one besides close visual
inspection.  Does anyone make a replacement worm gear?  The follower pins are
available but my pins don't seem to show much wear.  How do I check them?
    What should I look for in the shaft to case fit?  Should I check the case /
bushing with inside micrometer?  What are the specs.  How come the bushings for
the idler are $7 and the one for the steering box is $70 something??  It's not
10 times as long.
    Since this is mix and match I have no reference on how many shims it might
take to set the bearing clearance on the worm gear.  The book says how to check
it in the car with the wheel on but I'm on the bench.  Any way to measure or
what to feel for?
    Last what is the fix for the not available felt bushing at the top of the
steering column?
Thanks Guys
Ray Juncal
<healeyray.com>