Re: [Healeys] Engine Oils

To: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@roadrunner.com>, "Doug Newton"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Oils
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:29:18 +0000
re:
"I also spoke with David Nock, who uses Red Line
10W40.  The viscosity of this oil is equivalent to a mineral-based 20W50"

Then the RL 10W-40 is mislabeled, IMO.   The viscosity standards are, well,
standards
and a 10W-40 would never be "equivalent" to a 20W-50 based on viscosity (can any
petroleum engineers out there either back me up, or prove I'm full of it?).

re:
"Bottom line seems to be that
if it meets API SM standard, don't trust it in an old flat tappet engine."

Agreed.  FWIW, I found a "stash" of my favorite--Chevron Supreme 20W-50--that
was still SL rated.  I cleaned out the store, and they replaced it with SM rated
CS 20W-50.

bs

From: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@roadrunner.com>