Re: [Healeys] FW: Castrol Syntec

To: Warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: Castrol Syntec
From: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:48:36 -0700
Hi Gary,

I thought I pointed out yesterday that there seem to be two categories
of SM service. Only the lighter oils which are likely to be used in
newer cars have to have reduced Zinc/ Phosphorus at this time.  It
appears that 20-50, although rated SM, does not have to have to have the
reduced levels.  I agree that the API specs and the oil companies'
preferences  are at best  very confusing & I really don't trust their
information. Just pointing out the loop hole in the specs that would
allow different ZDDP levels in oils rated SM.

It's kind of hidden in appendix G of this document.
http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/1509_16thedition042007.pdf

Regards,
Dave Russell