Re: [Healeys] dos & don'ts on an engine rebuild

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] dos & don'ts on an engine rebuild
From: richard mayor <mayorrichard@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 02:05:45 +0000
Norm Nock is right on (or was that David?) I only have one suggestion
regarding the rear seal. I have been doing this for the last 15 years on my
race motors. Have your machinist grind the rear portion of your crank to
eliminate the "scroll" and use a Chev V-8 rear seal. It's very effective and a
lot less expensive then fitting that external seal mounting bracket that Moss
and Denis Welch sell.  Richard Mayor> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:35:44 -0800>
From: richard.ewald@gmail.com> To: eric.frenken@brits-n-pieces.com> CC:
healeys@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Healeys] dos & don'ts on an engine
rebuild> > In my list of things to always do when rebuilding a British motor
are the> following:> All new bearings> only grind the crank if it is out of
spec, and then only the minimum.> New oil pump / pressure relief valve> Size
the rods / fit new wrist pins.> > Rick> > > On Feb 13, 2008 1:10 PM,
Brits'n'Pieces (Eric Frenken) <> lists@brits-n-pieces.com> wrote:> > > Hi
everybody,> >> > I'm in the process of building up a 3000 engine from scratch.
What I have,> > is:> >> > engine block (with some slight injuries on the
cylinder walls)> > crankshaft> > connecting rods with pistons> > camshaft> >
tappets> > push rods> > rocker shaft complete with rockers> > cylinder head> >
valves> > oil pump with strainer> > oil sump> > flywheel> > inlet & exhaust
manifold(s)> > a pair of HD8s> >> > A friend of mine is doing the work, so
I'll be the spectator and maybe> > sometimes the advisor.> >> > -What are the
things that you never would do and the things that you> > always> > would do
during an engine rebuild respectively an engine build-up (except> > drinking
beer)?> > -Which parts would you buy new in any case and which parts would you
reuse> > after close inspection from an expert?> > -In case you would buy a
certain part new would you buy a standard or> > uprated part?> > -Where or
from which company/individual would you buy it?> >> > I'm heading for a mildly
tuned engine with a nearly steady power output> > between 1,000 and 6,000
rpm.> >> > Any and all advices are most welcome. Thanks for all your
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html> >> > Healeys@autox.team.net>
richard.ewald@gmail.com> >> > http://www.team.net/archive>