[Healeys] Transmission OD - 22% vs 28%

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Transmission OD - 22% vs 28%
From: John H <jhomonek@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:11:03 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Listers,

I am swapping tranmissions in my BN7.  One coming out is a 22% side shift.  The
one going in is a 28% side shift and just rebuilt. Bundled with my 3.54 Lempert
gear set should give me great cruising capabilities on demand.

Question:  the 22% has an enclosed area with a removable cover where the
solenoid shaft engages and disengages the OD (to keep debris and moisture out,
I assume)  The 28% does not have this enclosure leaving it exposed to debris
and moisture.

The parts manual shows only a metal deflector (called a stone gaurd) in front
of the solenoid.  Is this correct? and is there a way to convert to the
enclosed version, which seems safer in the long run?

Thanks in advance,

John Homonek
Atlanta Chapter AHCA
1959 BN7