Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid Who Knew?

To: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake Fluid Who Knew?
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 06:16:20 -0700
I was wondering ...

These strips supposedly detect copper levels produced by the
degeneration of copper lining in steel brake lines (I had no idea steel
brake lines were copper-lined, anybody here know that?).

Does this mean the strips are useless for testing fluid in stainless
lines which, presumably, don't need or have a copper lining?

What about cupro-nickel lines which, presumably, might have a high level
of copper almost from the start (this is a SWAG, I have no idea what the
chemical stability of this material is--it may be much higher than the
copper lining in steel lines)?

At the very least, these issues should be addressed by the FASCAR people
(along with the PhD dissertation on how well this product works).

I can envision the yahoos at my neighborhood quickie oil-change shop
pointing out to unsuspecting customers that their brake fluid must be
changed immediately, because the copper level isn't high enough (half ;)

bs