Re: [Healeys] BN1 or BN2 Transmission Conversion

To: dougnewton@sbcglobal.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 or BN2 Transmission Conversion
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 16:09:11 EDT
Doug--

I have a Smitty's conversion on my BN1 with the Toyota W58  transmission.  Do
you have the Smitty's installation manual?  It  has all the information you
need--ditch the mechanical linkage and go over to a  hydraulic master/slave
set-up, it's great.  I eventually upgraded  to a BJ8 diaphragm clutch and it is
light and positive.

Probably the most daunting aspect of the conversion was the replacement of
the BN1 transmission tunnel with a proper one to fit the Smitty bell  housing.
The BN1 tunnel is very small  and I used the Moss  FG tunnel for a 100-6,
filled the side-shift hole and cut it to fit--it  replaced both the front and
intermediate sections, though I did have to  fabricate a new extension panel.
know the BN2 tunnel is larger than that  for the BN1 and perhaps it will
accommodate the Smitty's bell  housing.

If you or anyone else need any information contact me offllist--I  can point
you to several good sites on Toyota transmission ID and selection  but the
list server will strip the links.

Best--Michael Oritt

In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:52:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,