Re: [Healeys] Posting problems

To: 'Alan Seigrist' <healey.nut@gmail.com>, Awgertoo@aol.com,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Posting problems
From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 19:47:10 -0400
Further, there is nothing worse than a reformed sinner. When AOL first
started it encouraged "bulk" emails because they were charging the senders
of bulk emails on a per unit basis. These were originally legitimate
companies sending out unsolicited advertising emails to the AOL customer
base. When SPAM was identified as a real problem, AOL "got religion" and
started to block legitimate users -- me included. I used to send emails out
to a customer base and many of them were AOL subscribers. Upon seeing a high
number of emails from my mailbox address to AOL customers, they blocked me.
After much cajoling, I was allowed to send to AOL customers. A year or so
later, they blocked one of my ISP's servers (Cablevision) that handled my
email address so that no one on my server could send to a AOL mailbox. They
initially told Cablevision that they would only accept traffic from that
server if I was terminated as a customer. I threatened to go to the FCC and
voila, everything turned to normal. All this because of around 200 emails to
AOL customers over a weekend. In the meantime, I had a lot of PO'd
customers.

But, Michael, try to cancel and that is another story. I had to actually
cancel my credit card after months of them actually refusing to cancel my
AOL account and then I got a nasty letter stating that they were going to
sue because I wasn't paying my monthly charges. Anal me, I save everything.
Another fone call and letter this time to the Federal Trade Commission and
that stopped.

I have a friend who was actually told by a AOL service rep that if he
cancelled his AOL account, he would never again be able to receive emails.

There are web sites up with the same complaints and more than one class
action suit pending.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com