Re: [Healeys] Computer Stuff not Healey related

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Computer Stuff not Healey related
From: "T W" <ah3000me@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:10:48 -0400
This thread is a walk down memory lane...

I ran CP/M on my Heathkit H-8.  I had 64K of memory and 3 floppy drives
squeezed into the H-17 disk drive enclosure with a cooling fan to keep the
power supply from overheating.  The first program I wrote was a terminal
emulator in basic;  that was too slow so I re-wrote it in 8080 assembler.
Mine was built in my apartment in Halethorpe, MD.  :-)  It's boxed up now,
waiting until I get too old to get in and out of my Healey.

At my first real job, our lab had a DEC PDP-12 (basically a PDP-8 / LINC).
I use to program that in FOCAL or PAL-8 assembler.  It had no disk drives, a
tape drive, and a paper-tape punch/reader on a teletype machine.  And 16K of
memory.

- Tom