[Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD

To: <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:05:54 -0400
Alan,
I'm with Rich on this one.  The throttle switch is there to prevent
negative torque on the overdrive unit when the OD is switched off.
Negative torque, or, in other words, turning in the wrong direction,
will hand grenade the uni-directional roller bearing clutch which is
only allowed to turn one way (hence the name "uni-directional").
This is the same reason why the OD should never be on in reverse,
which is one purpose of the switch for the gear selector.  If these 2
switches are not functioning correctly the roller bearing clutch can
explode and create an expensive mess.  This guy can't be much of a
Brit car mechanic if he doesn't understand something this basic.
regards,
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks

Message: 12