Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD
From: kentmclean@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:02:02 +0000
Tadeusz Malkiewicz wrote:
> I have driven both, (Volvo 1800S without any OD switch protection) and my
> BN2. I am fascinated how the switch works. It's a bit like driving a car
> with manual gearbox where the last 5th gear is automatic.  I hate automatic
> transmissions, but I have to admit I definitely do like the way the OD works
> on the Healey.

The OD throttle switch gets my vote, too.   My first car, a '59 100/6 bought
c. 1969, had OD with the switch. It didn't work when I first got it.  I didn't
even know about it.  But one day, mucking around with the transmission
cover off, I found a loose wire?  Cleaned a connection? I forget, but the
point is, it made the switch work. When properly working, the switch
changes the behavior of the car as well as how you drive it. On that
100/6, if revs dropped too low, it would switch out of OD and into the
straight gear, like an automatic.  It was a nice feature.

--
Kent McLean
'59 100 BN2