[Healeys] (no subject)

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] (no subject)
From: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
I am by no means an expert on overdrives. However, I thought the hydraulic
pressure required to engage the overdrive was created by a pump driven by the
main propshaft, and that at road speeds below about 30 mph there is
insufficient pressure to engage the overdrive. That is certainly the case with
the overdrive in my Triumph based home build Lotus Seven replica. So even if
for some reason the gearbox switch is still providing 12 volts to the
solenoid, at low road speeds there would be no possibility of being in
overdrive and reverse. My 100 has the throttle switched bypassed, but the
gearbox switch is in circuit. If I leave the dashboard switch on, and reduce
speed, it always drops out of overdrive sometime before I come to a halt.
Comments welcome!!
Mike Brooks
'56 BN2
Aboyne