[Healeys] Synthetic Oils

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Synthetic Oils
From: "Fred Wescoe" <fredwescoe@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:06:23 -0400
I have wondered about the sensibility or value of changing to synthetic oils.

When compared to normal oils, do the synthetic oils really allow less engine
wear, remove more deposits allowing for the longer change intervals and are
they really more fuel efficient?  Are they more beneficial to the engines.  Is
one better than another?

I have looked at various web sites and I find just the usual company hype of
their own products and no hard evidence to support their claims.  I could not
find anything comparing synthetics to one another or to conventional oils.

Both of  my owners manuals, Volkswagen and Audi, say specifically that use of
synthetic oils will not affect the new car warrantee so the synthetic oils are
manufacturer approved.  Both of these cars are relatively new cars with less
than 16,000 miles on each.

I don't believe changing the Healey to synthetic oil is sensible but is it
beneficial to change my other newer and lower mileage cars to synthetic?  Are
there recommended or specific filters for the synthetic oils?

What is the collective experiences and wisdom of the list?

Fred
63 BJ7