Re: [Healeys] Still Missing under load 64 BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Still Missing under load 64 BJ8
From: RThrift <rthrift@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:08:07 -0400
I've been holding off replying.  But I've had a similar experience.  I don't
think the original post described symptoms that were too much different than
mine.  I replaced my original coil with a Lucas Sport & life is good again.  I
suppose this same problem can occur with new coils, too.

Richard Thrift

---- BillHUCK@aol.com wrote:
I come belatedly to this subject.
I have driven four Healeys since 1965.
I have weathered most of their problems.

When I hear of disfunctions related to warm or hot engines I look to the
coil.
Some coils have an internal ballast resistor; such coils become hot to the
touch because all of the
IxIxR heat ends up in the coil, making it less efficient. Many such coils
have been sold as high-output replacement devices. They probably work well in
cooler climates.

Your problem might be resolved by installing a coil that requires an external
ballast resistor; such coils run so much cooler. An added attraction; cold
starting is much improved.

Bill Huck - BN-1

You are subscribed as rthrift@cox.net