[Healeys] Chassis / Sub chassis restoration question??

To: Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Chassis / Sub chassis restoration question??
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:20:16 +0800
Hi All -

I assume Jack Aakerlin can answer this but here goes -

I am considering taking my beloved BJ8 and stripping it down to the chassis
and rebuilding her.  The big question for me is whether to keep the old
chassis and fix it properly, or just go for a new Kilmartin Chassis and put
the Front End and Rear End assemblies on the new chassis.

The reason for going with a new Chassis is at some point about 30 years ago
the left front clip was hit hard and the whole front left chassis rail was
repaired very poorly.  When I did my ground up restoration on the car in
1985 (I was in college) I did not have the money at that time to deal with
it, so I left it.

The left front chassis rail is 1) repaired poorly and 2) bent in the back
behind the repair section.  This means to fix it properly I will have to cut
the front left chassis rail off all the way back to the passenger
compartment right before the chassis cross... not ideal.

My question is... if I go with a whole new Kilmartin Chassis, is it
difficult to line up the front end and rear end assemblies properly on the
chassis, or is that a pretty easy job?  My rear end sub-assembly is in good
shape and the front end sub-assembly is in pretty good shape except for the
front left side.

Will I need a jig or is it all pretty simply done with measurements and
minimal rigging to put the sub assemblies on the chassis?

You can assume I will have the old chassis by the side, so I will be able to
compare the old chassis with the new chassis as the work is done.

I'd like to go with a new chassis, but if it's easier to save the old one, I
will consider that as well.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Alan

'52 A90