Re: [Healeys] (no subject)alternator

To: eric.frenken@brits-n-pieces.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] (no subject)alternator
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:19:04 +0100
I wonder if we are missing a point here. On a modern car the output from
the alternator not only charges the battery when this is necessary but
also drives all sorts of other electric equipment such as power
steering, heated seats, fast warm up heater, entertainment units etc.

As you say a C45 or C42 has limited output but if an alternator is
substituted and extra lights are fitted it will be able to supply the
light AND charge the battery at a good rate if it is low. In this case a
thicker wire from the alternator is advisable. A 50 amp alternator and a
50 amp wire should be adequate for one of our cars because it would feed
all the equipment  and charge the battery at the maximum permissible
rate if this were in a low state,

Regards

--
John Harper