Re: [Healeys] Scored OD accumulator piston/housing- replacement

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Scored OD accumulator piston/housing- replacement
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:37:25 +0000
Hi Peter-

I just applied the rubber tipped air nozzle method of accumulator piston/sleeve
removal with success, using 120 PSI. On my BJ7, the accumulator sleeve is open
at the bottom end, so as you introduce air pressure and simultaneously hold the
piston down so that it is not forced out by the pressure, but at the same time
you must not push the piston out the other (open) end of the sleeve down into
the accumulator cavity of the od housing. All advice given here seems to point
to non-removal of the piston from the sleeve. I found that getting enough
"momentum" behind the sleeve, and keeping the piston in place is a delicate
procedure. No wonder previous postings warn against this procedure without the
proper factory tools. I'll have to add this to the ever growing list of things
not to do.

As previously stated, I had already removed the piston in ignorance. I was able
to slide it back into the sleeve without consequence, however. When I applied
the air pressure to the relief valve hole, I simultaneously held the piston in
place with a screwdriver handle that fit the recess of the piston. I did such a
good job of holding the piston in a fixed position that the sleeve slid up and
out of the cavity right past the piston, leaving the piston behind, and in the
absence of a surrounding sleeve, the piston dropped into the cavity. I easily
retrieved it with a magnetic extension tool. I have to remark that the air
pressure worked like a charm in the absence of the expansion tool designed for
this purpose, but if your goal is to only change the "o" ring (s), BE CAREFUL.
The piston has no reservations about sliding right out of the sleeve as the
sleeve is pushed past it.

Now I have both the piston and its' sleeve out. I need to determine the course
of action for dealing with the scoring on both the piston and the walls of the
sleeve.

Incidentally, since the bottom of my accumulator sleeve is open, there is no
threaded hole into which one could screw a threaded rod. Perhaps on different
variants there is such a provision.

I'm going back out to the garage to scratch my head on the piston damage, I'll
check back later.

Regards, Tom