[Healeys] Original Colo(u)r Scheme - advice?

To: Healey <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Original Colo(u)r Scheme - advice?
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:46:57 +0800
All -
My early BJ8 is currently Black over silver with Beige interior.  Looks nice
but nothing close to original!

Anyway, as some of you know, I am tearing the car down and rebuilding it
over the next few months.  My desire is to get the car back to as close to a
factory & factory color scheme as possible.

Keep in mind I want to have an OEM style red leather interior (as was
available in the UK on special order).  Note also according to my BMHIT
cert, the car was originally White with red interior (and is confirmed by
paint on the undersides), but I would also like to keep a two tone paint
job.  With all this in mind I have two real options I am considering:

1) Go with Black over Red with Red interior.  This is an original color
scheme and will be similar to what the car is painted now.  The color looks
fantastic as well.  Downside is black does not age all that well and will
highlight minor imperfections over time - also it gets hot in the sun.  Also
the car was painted white at the factory.

2) Go with the original color scheme of White with Red interior - with a
twist (remember I want two tone).  The only two tone with white done by the
factory was white over black.  I think that color combo is fine, but with a
red interior I would really prefer to go with White over Red, with red
interior.  This is not an original factory color combination, but I have to
imagine several cars were painted like this at dealerships?  This would
allow me to more or less have the car in its original color scheme but the
coves painted red.  This was a standard corvette paint scheme in the
sixties.

I do intend for the car to be a 98% restoration to original concours
standard, with 2% stuff for the car to be a good daily runner (i.e.
pertonix, spin on filter, proper air filters, etc.).

I am leaning to white over red with red interior.

Will you purists out there choke on your "pan au chocolat" when you see the
car in this colo(u)r scheme?

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1