Re: [Healeys] Wood spacer strips

To: "Jim Lyons" <jlyons4@rochester.rr.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wood spacer strips
From: "Mirek and Gwen Sharp" <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 00:15:34 -0400
Jim,

I suspect the wood strips were oiled, not finished in a hard finish like a
varnish.  Probably they used linseed oil  - whatever was left over after the
cricket bats were oiled!

I recently installed new ones and used tung oil and they looked fine and are
preserved.  BTW, it took a bit of investigation to figure our what kind of
wood it was.  I initially guessed ash as that is used in furniture making,
but  trip to the local exotic wood dealer where I could question some
experts and compare grains and hardness with samples revealed that the
strips are European Beech (which different from the American Beech).

cheers,  Mirek